Saturday 14 March 2020

Battlesystem semi-historical experiment

Hi all, this is the first post of a new blog that I hope will have enough material for about a post per month.
On my other blog: The Owlbear's lair I post what my brother and I paint every week and sometimes we also had posts about games we play, but I think it would be tidier to have a blog dedicated to the gaming aspect, let's see how it goes.

For the first post I have pictures about a game of Battlesystem I recently GMd at my friend Garner's place.
He loves working on terrain and is on a grail quest to built the perfect and never warping gaming board.
The one we used for this game is one that he finished last year. He is obviously not satisfied with the result and is currently building a new one.
I think it looks great, but will never even consider preventing him from building a better one.
The buildings are from my collection, but everything else is from his.

For this game we used AD&D second edition Battlesystem rules. I have recently played a couple of games and Garner had last played the game probably close to 30 years ago.

We used Garner's massive Italian wars collection of miniatures, a mix of Citadel, Old glory and Perry.
The first game was a "humans only" affair, but we plan to add more and more fantasy elements and turn it into a campaign based on the historical events of the Italian wars.

There were two teams facing off, on the French side were Adrian and his brother Simon, while the Papal army was led by Garner and Rohen.
I was the game master and tried to make sure we did not forget any rule, I barely succeeded, but the game was a lot of fun non the less.

















The battle was way too big for a first warm up game, but I think that it's better to tackle a big game right away and not worry about mistakes too much.
With a game this size we had plenty of situations to cope with and learned a lot about the rules and will be ready for the future of the campaign.

The game did not end with an obvious winner, so the next game will be the actual beginning of the campaign.

My idea is to use Battlesystem as the basic ruleset, but to add scenarios or random rules from older warhammer edition, from Warhammer ancient battles supplements and from any source I can find useful.
Maybe we will also be able to connect this campaign with a RPG one that can run along with it, but let's not get ahead of ourself and see if we can get a second game soon.

It's all for now, happy gaming to all

No comments:

Post a Comment